The Tower Renewal Partnership brings together partners including the Centre for Urban Growth + Renewal (ERA Architects and SvN), City of Toronto, Maytree and DKGI, Province of Ontario, NBLC, Transsolar, klimaEngineering, United Way of Toronto and York Region.
Tower Renewal Showcase is a multi-faceted initiative to enable Toronto’s remarkable stock of Apartment Neighbourhoods to become more complete communities, resilient neighbourhoods and healthy places, fully integrated into the City’s infrastructure and community life.
The initiative is routed in three main objectives:
- Maximize Social Opportunity through expanding community infrastructure and opening doors to allow social innovators, local entrepreneurs, local residents and newcomers to define their neighbourhoods;
- Optimize buildings and neighbourhood performance through lower carbon urbanism and healthy built form; and
- Expand housing and employment options through appropriate neighbourhood growth that supports the above.
Key project strategies of the Tower Renewal Showcase are:
- Retrofit of existing buildings
- Social & economic opportunities: mixed-use on site
- Growth, mixed-development and complete communities
- Financial tools and policy environment to support the above