The firm was retained by the Town of Whitby to complete the Port Whitby Secondary Plan Update, Community Improvement Plan and Urban Design Guidelines for the Town of Whitby. The focus of our work has been to integrate new development into the fabric of the existing Port Whitby community. We have also established ground rules for how new development and intensification will be designed and how neighbourhoods will be protected. Our work has been coordinated with related planning processes that are currently underway such as the Whitby Waterfront Parks and Open Space Master plan while also ensuring that the expansion and intensification of the existing GO Station site is effectively integrated into the existing community. The Secondary Plan, Urban Design Guidelines and Community Improvement Plan build on principles of our previously prepared Sustainable Community Plan for Port Whitby and establish the framework for the future development of this sustainable waterfront community.
Our services provided throughout this project have included:
- Collection and analysis of background information and the preparation of the
- Creation and execution of a detailed public and stakeholder engagement strategy including both formal and informal opportunities for engagement;
- Public visioning exercises;
- Developing design principles;
- Developing Alternative and use and Urban Design Concepts; and
- Preferred Land Use Plan, Community Improvement Plan and Urban Design Guidelines.