Constance Lake First Nation and the Town of Hearst are positioned to benefit from regional economic development opportunities related to mining exploration, development and production. To capture as much of this future investment as possible within the local area, Constance Lake First Nations and the Town of Hearst are preparing a Mining Readiness Strategy. Utilizing a participatory planning process, the Mining Readiness Strategy will establish a vision, key directions and priority actions that will serve to better position Constance Lake and Hearst within the future mining economy.
The Mining Readiness Strategy is to be developed over the course of three phases: a first phase that will comprise a baseline of the Constance Lake and Hearst Region including its population, economy, environment and infrastructure; a second phase that will assess opportunities for mine readiness and establish key priority actions that will serve to better integrate the Region with the future mining economy; and a third phase that will involve implementing the strategy and monitoring its progress. The second phase is to be completed by September of 2016.
To guide the preparation and implementation of the Mining Readiness Strategy, the Project will form a Regional Stakeholder Committee comprised of representatives from Constance Lake First Nations, Town of Hearst, Provincial and Federal Government, Industry and other representatives. In addition, public meetings will be held at critical times in the process. Additional updates will be provided at key points in the process.
- The Mining Readiness Strategy will serve to improve prospects for investment and regional growth from mining in Constance Lake and Hearst
- The Strategy will establish a coherent and common vision for regional development and lay the groundwork for potential partnerships towards realizing the vision
- The Strategy will present a roadmap of key directions and priority actions including such directions as improving local skills and service delivery that will serve to attract mining companies and investment
- A Regional Stakeholder Committee will be formed to oversee the development of the Mining Readiness Strategy
- The Mining Readiness Strategy is developed with the financial assistance of FedNor and the Northern Ontario Heritage Fund