Deadline to apply: August 11, 2017
Start date: September 6, 2017 or as soon as possible
We are looking for a Planner to join the team and contribute to a number of ongoing projects under the direction of SvN’s Senior Planners. The Planner position will provide you with the opportunity to work with a multi-disciplinary team of architects, planners, and community engagement specialists on a variety of private and public sector projects.
Based in our Toronto office, the Planner will support a broad range of projects from transit corridor plans to secondary plans (including mixed use, residential, employment and institutional areas) to zoning by-law amendments and plans of subdivision. This is an excellent opportunity for someone interested in applying their skills in urban planning, design and community engagement within an interdisciplinary team towards the creation of inclusive, participatory and pragmatic plans.
Requirements of the position:
- Degree in Urban Planning or other related discipline
- Minimum two years of professional experience in urban planning or comparable co-op/internship experience
- Strong understanding of Ontario land use planning framework, the Planning Act, Provincial Policy Statement, Growth Plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe, Official Plans and Zoning By-laws
- Knowledge of evolving trends in provincial and municipal policy, urban design, built form and growth management
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel) and Adobe InDesign
- Highly motivated and willing to take on new challenges
- Experience in the Greater Toronto Area
- Collaborative and interdisciplinary outlook
- Understanding of ArcGIS and/or Design Software
- Good public speaking skills
- Membership in OPPI & CIP
- Driver’s license
- Fluency in languages other than English
SvN is a dynamic team of architects, planners, urban designers and community developers immersed in the practical art and science of building resilient communities. We work in partnership with public and private clients and stakeholders to create visionary ideas, and find ways to render them viable. Over the past forty years, our team has helped to shape the built environment in regions, cities, and towns across Canada, and around the world. We’ve revitalized industrial waterfronts, developed new forms of affordable housing, designed resilient neighbourhoods, and promoted the economic development of both rural and urban regions.
SvN offers full health benefits, a group retirement savings plan and a generous professional development allowance. Our airy, bright suite of offices is at 110 Adelaide Street East, near the St. Lawrence market in downtown Toronto.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to apply by sending CV + cover letter/email with subject line Planner to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline to apply is August 11, 2017. While we thank all applicants for responding, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.