Deadline to apply: January 31, 2018
Start date: March 1, 2018 or as soon as possible
We are looking for an Intermediate/Senior Urban Designer to join our award-winning team. Some of our most significant contributions to the fabric of the GTA include the Reconfiguration of the Six Points Interchange, Eglinton Connects Planning + Urban Design Study, Neighbourhoods Character Design Guidelines for the City of Toronto, and the Dundas Connects Land Use and Transportation Master Plan for the City of Mississauga.
As part of our award-winning Urban Design team, the Intermediate/Senior Urban Designer will work closely with a multi-disciplinary planning, urban design and architecture team and report to the Lead, Urban Design at SvN. The successful candidate will be responsible for designing, managing and implementing urban design projects at multiple scales, from integrated site design to corridor + neighbourhood development to city-wide design + strategy.
- Interpret design briefs and understand/work within process from background analysis, through to option development and implementation
- Conduct preliminary background analysis including research of existing planning and regulatory context, as well as existing and planned development context; fluency with Provincial, Regional and local planning and design guideline documents (Growth Plan 2006, 2017, Big Move, Regional Transportation Plan; Official Plan, By-laws, Guidelines)
- Develop conceptual and/or framework diagrams, plans, sections, elevations, perspectives (by hand and/or digitally) in a highly graphic capacity
- Imbue technical understanding of urban design elements into development of work
- Grasp of balancing public with private sector requirements
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree in Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Planning and/or Urban Design;
- 6 + years (Intermediate) / 8 + years (Senior) of urban design experience;
- Exceptional communication, organization and interpersonal skills;
- Professional Registration with OAA, OALA or OPPI or equivalent an asset;
- Solid technical understanding of/ experience with public realm design, in particular the integration between transit, streetscape, land use and the built environment and application in city-wide scale contexts;
- Proficiency in graphic tools including AdobeSuite, AutoCAD, and Revit. Experience with GIS and MicroStation an additional asset.
SvN offers full health benefits, a group retirement savings plan and a generous professional development allowance. Our airy, bright suite of offices is located at 110 Adelaide Street East, near the St. Lawrence market in downtown Toronto.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to apply by sending cover letter, CV and link to your portfolio with subject line Intermediate/Senior Urban Designer to firstname.lastname@example.org. While we thank all applicants for their interest, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.